Thursday, February 25, 2010

"What Good is Sitting..."

"...alone in your room. Come hear the music play." I didn't see a cabaret today but I did go out and hear some music instead of wasting away in my dorm room.

After spending much of the day booking hostels, watching Project Runway, and getting my life back in order I took the bus into Dublin in order to attend evensong at St. Patrick’s Cathedral. I thought this would be a good idea because it would be an experience and I could see the cathedral for free.

I always have a little pride when I manage to take the bus into the city and navigate it myself and this time I did not use a map at all. I walked the streets like a local, although when my pride bubbled to the top I might have skipped a little.

When I got to the cathedral I was a little weary to just waltz in but another girl showed up and she just walked in so I followed. She may have thought I was a creep but that’s ok. The cathedral was a lot smaller than I thought it would be but impressive none the less. It was not the greatest cathedral I had ever witnessed but I enjoyed it and the whole experience of going to a service there. I sat down and was one of only eight people worshipping. It was about a forty minute service which I enjoyed because the acoustics in that stone cathedral were fantastic. I also saw where Jonathon Swift is buried- it was right in the sanctuary.
St. Patrick's at twilight

Upon leaving I continued my local strut and I must have looked like a Dubliner because a woman asked me for bus directions. And most amazing of all, I knew the answer to her question.

No comments:

Post a Comment