Thursday, February 4, 2010

"One Short Day"

One of the double decker buses I take everywhere

Today I had to go into the city centre. I didn't have anything I needed to do there, but I just had to go downtown. I needed to be independent, somewhat courageous, and, as they say in the song, “everything’s great when you’re downtown.” So I got out my 1.80 euro, put on Wicked (after all, Dublin is my Emerald City), and began my journey.


While downtown I wanted to go see the relics of St. Valentine (who would have guessed they were in Dublin?) at the Whitefriar St. Carmelite Church so that was my first destination. I got there and looked around for about ten minutes before mass started. I did not take into consideration that they might have mass at 1 o’clock on a Thursday but they did. I didn’t think it would be appropriate for me to continue looking around/taking pictures during mass and I couldn’t locate the relics, so I might have to finish that adventure some other day.

Afterwards I went to the grocery and got some hamburgers for dinner as well as enough groceries to last me a week. Things went well and then I headed to the bus stop to go back to campus. And on this whole trip I only looked at a map twice! Once on the bus going there and once on my way to the bus stop to go home to make sure I was going the right way (and I was). I am becoming quite the Dublin local.

Here is what I bought so my mother knows:
  • grapes
  • sandwich stuff
  • soup
  • tea
  • chicken nuggets
  • milk
  • yogurt
  • ramen noodles
  • crackers (for peanut butter, although I have been eating the peanut butter right out of the jar)

Brittany came over for burgers and green beans and we booked our hostel for London next weekend. Tonight I’m probably singing karaoke at The Wicked Wolf, so I’ll let you know how that goes ("Lady Marmalade" is my specialty.) Maggie Stremel is also coming tomorrow for the weekend and I am looking forward to seeing her so much!

1 comment:

  1. You make everything sound like an adventure, and I love the way you share your inner thoughts (and insecurities).

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete