Saturday, February 20, 2010

Bray


Because I only have three months of Ireland adventures today I went to yet another seaside town, Bray. Brittany and I walked to the DART (train) station at Booterstown, about a thirty minute walk from our dorm. We took the train about 30 minutes to Bray and it was a cute little town, kinda like the Jersey Shore of Ireland. I say this because it had all sorts of ice cream shops, arcades, hotels, and that sort of thing. It was for sure a tourist stop. We walked down the shore and started heading up the cliffs on the Cliff Path, but we didn’t stay on the Cliff Path for long.



The real adventure started when Brittany thought it was a grand(the Irish use grand instead of great) idea to venture off the path. Well, everything started out grand but we wanted to join the cliff path eventually. “I think if we just go up and around we can get there,” was Brittany’s logic about five times during the hike so needless to say we got even more off the path and into some rather dense thorns. Hey, I didn’t mind; I can always use a little adventure. The thorns were less than ideal though.

The path we were supposed to be on

After eventually realizing that we could not get to the path from the very steep slope we were on we started down our own trail. This is when Brittany alerted me that she had lost something. After guessing it was her wallet, camera, and bus ticket (all the important things) she told me it was her cell phone.
“Ok, I’ll just call it and see if it is around.”
“It’s on silent.”

So we began up the pseudo-trail once more. I thought that there was no chance that we would find the phone but the luck of the Irish was with us and Brittany found it!

After getting back on the trail we walked a little farther down the path and then turned back. We headed back into town and looked for a little snack which turned out to be ice cream. It was a soft serve ice cream place that had all sorts of flavors, reminding me of the Highland Queen. I had a maple nut shake which was delicious and that was the end of our adventures in Bray. We took the DART back to Booterstown and walked back to the dorm uneventfully.

The moral of the story: unless you like thorns, stay on the path.

More Photos:
Town of Bray
Amazing View
I am becoming quite the hiker!

No comments:

Post a Comment