Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Two New Experiences

Today I had a few new experiences today.

I began my day by going to the St. Stephen’s Green Shopping Mall to pick up a few things I needed. I was on a mission to find blank CDs and I went into a store called Argos. The interesting thing about Argos was that they were no products on the shelves just catalogues. You would look through these thick books to see what you wanted then write down the stock number. You bring this slip with the stock number on it to the front desk and pay for your product, then they give you an order number and you wait for your order number to get called just like at Taco Bell. Anyway, they seemed to have some good deals and I am using the blank CDs as we speak (and by speak I mean type out my blog entry.)

My other new experience was participating in a trivia tournament and not winning. The International Student Society hosted a “table quiz” night at one of the student pubs and advertised cash prizes so I couldn’t resist. Stevie decided to test her knowledge as well and we met some new friends there, including Melissa from New York who was the other member of our trio. After the first round we were in first place but it was downhill from there. The questions were fairly easy and the least we ever got correct for a 10 question round was 7 but that wasn’t good enough. I even employed my intimidation tactics by loudly saying “bunny question!” or “easy” when a simple question came up, not to mention the occasional death glare. We placed third and got a twenty euro cash prize, so about 6 euro a person which is more than I had when I went. And we got a new friend out of it… and more trivial facts that I can impress people with. (“Yes, Mr. Interviewer, I did study in Dublin. Did you know Donegal is the northern-most county in Ireland? How can you resist having this wealth of useless knowledge in your office?”)

Trivia Question: Which city is closer to Paris, Edinburgh or Rome?

No comments:

Post a Comment