Saturday, March 27, 2010

Glendalough and Wicklow

Glendalough and its famous cylindrical tower that is 100 feet tall.

Today was another daytrip that was organized by the Study Abroad Office, this time to Glendalough, a monastery founded by St. Kevin in the sixth century, which is nestled in the Wicklow Mountains, one of the most beautiful places I've seen in Ireland.

I coerced the organized of the trip to let me bring my Aussie roommate Laura to the trip (she was the only one not from the US out of about 50) and Brittany came too. We met at 10:30 (Carolyn and Kristina left at 6 am) and drove about an hour to Glendalough where we went to the visitor center and watched a movie about monasteries in Ireland and the history of Glendalough. As I mentioned, it was founded by St. Kevin in the sixth century who wanted to become a hermit. After spending some time alone in the wilderness people began to move around him, forming a settlement. The settlement grew and at that time it was larger than Dublin and the premier monastery in Europe. I suggest a visit if you have time.

After the presentation Brittany, Laura, and I wandered over to the remains of the settlement before our lunch of a sandwich, water, and a chocolate bar which was provided for free and therefore amazing. Once we were finished with our sandwiches we went on a mini-hike by ourselves and then came back to the visitors' center in time to meet up with our tour guide.

Our tour guide took us for a two and a half hour hike around Glendalough then through the Wicklow Mountains. Our tour guide was an older man who has five generations of his ancestors in the Glendalough cemetery. He told us the history of Glendalough and then we were off to the mountains.
I am a softy for a good graveyard. And if you know me well you know that is the truth. But seriously, out here you can really rest in peace.

Gates to Glendalough. Nerdy me loves to think about the people back 1,000 years ago entering in the settlement.

Cathedral (or what's left of it)

Those lambs are so adorable it makes me feel guilty about my love of lamburgers.

The hike was a lot more strenuous than I thought it would be and I got on the bus to go home with a sense of accomplishment and tired legs. We hiked up into the mountains, which were hideouts for Irish rebels throughout Ireland's rebellious history. It was quite the trek to get up the mountain, but the view made it worth it. The best views were by the Upper Lake (Glendalough translates to "Valley of the Two Lakes" in English).
Uphill




Picture perfect day!

No comments:

Post a Comment