Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Vienna- Day 3

Just another day in Vienna.

March 13th was our last day in Vienna so we made the most of it. Brittany and I woke up early to see Alyssa before she had to head off to class all day on a Saturday, which was a bummer. After she was gone we packed for what seemed like the thousandth time and I researched how to get to our hostel in Budapest. We then went over to Diana’s room to drop our luggage off there before taking on Vienna.

Unfortunately Stacy had a new illness, this time the stomach flu, so she couldn’t spend the day with us. The five of us (Brittany, Laura, Stevie, Diana, and I) then headed over to meet Jen and her family friend Cynthia, who was going to show us around for the day. Cynthia showed us her apartment, which was a super cute studio apartment, and then we headed over to the Saturday market.

Our first stop in the market was a small restaurant for breakfast which had phenomenal fresh orange juice. Unfortunately every restaurant in Vienna has to either declare itself smoking or non-smoking and to get the most business most restaurants say they are smoking and this restaurant was no different.

After a nice breakfast we hit the market itself and it was my favorite activity in Austria. I loved looking at all the varieties of vegetables, breads, and olives they had and even got myself some garlic stuffed green olives for a snack (I'm sure my breath was fresh as a daisy). The various stands would also give you samples which was fun. I decided to get some dried fruit and the vendor said that I could make my own mix. I got so excited that I was in Vienna picking out a variety of dried fruit that I started giggling and jumping up and down in five year-old fashion and the vendor started laughing in joy too.






After the food section there was a flea market section that we browsed. I engaged in haggling again and got a ten euro scarf for five. They also had jewelry and antiques which were fun to look through. One has to be careful in the market because there are pickpockets. I am a fan of the ever stylish Swiss Army pouch that can be worn under clothes, although I usually just wear it like a messenger bag.



After our time at the market was finished we had to go back and get our luggage. I suggested that Diana come to Budapest with us and she did! We got our bags, met up with Stacy, and headed over to the bus station. For some reason I was very worried about getting to Budapest. Maybe it was the fatigue or the foreignness of Hungary but I thought we were going to miss our bus or not be able to find the hostel or the hostel would be gross, but in the end everything turned out. More on that in the next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment