Monday, February 1, 2010

Cork and Blarney-Day 2

Breakfast at the Meadowbank

Day 2 began in the cutest bed and breakfast- The Meadowbank. We had a full Irish breakfast, which includes toast, cereals, sausage, eyes, bacon (which is like salty ham here), and a tomato. I also had tea and orange juice. This has definitely been the biggest breakfast I’ve eaten since I got here and was perfect fuel for the day. And I love Carol and maybe I will make it back to the Meadowbank someday.


We wanted to take a little walk around the town, but the town was so little the walk was very short. We really wanted to go walk around the grounds of Blarney Castle but it cost eight euro to get in, and we are poor. Jen is our designated local-talker so she decided to try the poor student card on the woman running admissions. Jen just let her know that we had only been on the grounds about an hour yesterday and wanted to see more and because the Irish are a benevolent people she let us in. It was still early and frost was blanketing the emerald ground and it was just gorgeous. We took about an hour long hike and it was just the perfect thing to do that morning.

Blarney in the morning frost

I encountered a horse who I named Buttercup. He, however, would not eat Brittany's apple.



Everything is so green

I'm very tiny compared to the castle

After a hike we headed over to Blarney Woolen Mills, which is a large store in Blarney. We browsed around there for a little while and then took the bus back into Cork. We planned on walking around there a little but lunch took longer than we thought. We stopped in a little café and had sandwiches, which is about what we eat every day. Afterwards we caught the bus back to Dublin and arrived in the city 3.5 hours later.

For having nothing planned except kissing the Blarney Stone planned the weekend turned out picture perfect. And since I have plenty of people coming to visit me I have a feeling this won’t be my last pilgrimage to Blarney.

No comments:

Post a Comment