Thursday, January 28, 2010

Star Trek and Karaoke

Because I have no class on Thursday I decided to go to a production of A Lesson in Love from Captain Picard which was put on by the UCD drama society. It appeared to play into my interest in theatre and Star Trek but it turns out it had very little to do with exploring space. And if you ever doubted my love of Star Trek here is me for Halloween when I was 8:

Captain Janeway of the Star Trek Voyager

I had expected a cute show about love with various witty Trekky jokes peppered throughout but it seemed to be just an excuse to indulge the playwright’s desire to use flowery expressions when talking about love (is this too harsh?).

The premise is that a boy falls in love with a girl after she almost hits him with her bike. He then goes into great detail when talking about how this love makes him feel to his life-sized cut-out of Captain Picard. He decides that he has to meet her again so he waits on the corner for 47 days before running into her again (more like she runs into him…on her bike.) They meet again and he finds out about her boyfriend, and also the fact that after they met the first time he passed out and she tried to revive him with mouth to mouth, which I’m pretty sure you are not supposed to use unless the victim is not breathing. And if he is not breathing it is probably your best bet to call an ambulance and find him a hospital instead of leaving him in the park, like she did. Anyway, she leaves with her boyfriend and he calls after her, "You kissed me!” (because of the mouth to mouth) causing her to crash. And that’s the end.

Where are the Star Trek allusions? Nowhere. It was just filled with every metaphor imaginable about romance. There were some insightful ones and a few chuckles so it was worth the two euro. It was a good enough show with good enough acting, and it was only 40 minutes long which was a good length, but I was lured in by the bald, shiny head of Captain Picard and even talked to another kid outside the theatre about his love for the television series. I left slightly disappointed and that is my rant for the day. (And the lighting was really bad. Ok, now I’m done.)

Tonight Jen, Stacy, Brittany, and I went to The Wicked Wolf for karaoke night. It was quite fun, especially when Stacy and Jen belted out “Total Eclipse of the Heart.” They were crowd favorites. Unfortunately, the bar closed at midnight, but Brittany and I are coming back next Thursday to sing “Lady Marmalade.” I’ve already started practicing my facial expressions and dance moves in the mirror.

Jen and Stacy rocking out

No comments:

Post a Comment