Monday, January 18, 2010

Computer Issues

So I broke my AC adapter. My father's advice before I left was "don't panic," so immediately I panicked. It was kinda like Apollo 13 because immediately I turned off anything that would use up the power quickly on my laptop. I brought the screen brightness down, closed programs, and set the mode to power saver. I then went about finding a new power adapter. This was harder than you would think.

I called Dell UK first. They said that they would order a cord for me after being on hold for about 15 minutes. When I asked if I could possibly get that cord with an American plug, they transferred me to Dell US. This would have been fine had Dell US not been closed Sunday. I then tried to find a computer lab on campus, but everything is closed on Sunday. It's about 1 pm now, so 7 am in Chicago, and calling home was not an option. Instead I went on a walk to the seashore with Brittany. Hey, I'm in Dublin, who cares if I can't charge my laptop?



I taped my cord together with electrical tape. Of course it's green.

The shore was about 2 miles away from the residence halls, so roundtrip was about two hours. We walked to the village of Booterstown. It was a lot cuter than Dublin Bay, which was just rather dirty. It was a beautiful sunny day and got my mind off the computer dilemma.

When I got back I called my father and just decided to buy the European plug; after all, I have a dual converter :) When that was done I went to work trying to somewhat fix the plug. I got to a point where I can charge the computer while holding the plug in place, so my laptop is still somewhat functional until the new adapter gets here, which they tell me will take ten days! It's being shipped from the UK, so how long can that really take?

Right now I am on a computer in the UCD lab. One thing I did not expect coming to Ireland was that the keyboards would be different. They are not significantly different, but when I was typing my email address from motor memory I got mclairefisher"gmail.com. The " and @ are changed! A few other keys are also changed, and of course they have symbols like £ and the euro sign, which right now I cannot figure out how to use.

I have my first class in about an hour, so we'll see how that goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment