Sunday, January 24, 2010

Off to the Races!


 Today I spent the day playing the ponies! Ok, I didn't actually bet but I made pretend bets in my head and used my imagination; it was significantly cheaper.

The college of business organized a trip to the Leopardstown Racecourse today for all the study abroad students. It came with free entry, racecard, lunch, and culture. Horse racing and horse clubs are very big here and my motto for the trip is "when in Rome."

We also met some new people from Boston University who we spent much of the day with. It seemed like the racing was similar to the one race I went to in America, although it seemed to me like there were a lot of children betting. I need to investigate if there is a gambling age here. It is fun just to be in the stands and hear the people cheering. I especially enjoy watching the horse jump over the hedges because they do it so gracefully. Horse names can be funny as well; today we had Hoochie Mama, Tijuana Dancer, and Bob's Pride. Th scenery cannot be beat.


Here's a video for your enjoyment. Do not tell me you cannot hear many young children cheering.


The other major difference was the hambuger I got there. I ordered a burger and chips (fries) and when they asked me if I wanted everything on it I said "Sure!" I'm trying to embrace everything Irish. "Everything" includes: coleslaw, grilled onions, tomatoes, cucumbers, lettuce, and cheese (of the white colour.) I have to say it was just ok; I added some ketchup because it was lacking something.  

We stayed for 5 of the 7 races, enough to get the flavour and lose feeling in our toes. Afterwards we walked to the bus and now I am cozy and warm in my dorm, using my computer which has been united with an AC adapter that doesn't need to be held in place; it makes typing a lot easier. It has been an exhusting weekend between Dun Laoghaire, Galway, and Leopardstown, but a great time filled with loads of craic.

No comments:

Post a Comment