Thursday, January 21, 2010

Grocery Shopping in Ireland

Thursday I am blessed enough not to have class, so Brittany and I ventured the 1.5 miles to the Tesco to pick up some food. I had pretty much finished up my first crop of groceries and was in need of some cookies. If you have ever been a cookie aisle at the Jewel, you know that there are about a dozen brands of cookies (maybe more) and each brand has about 10 varieties. This does not hold true in Ireland. You can buy Oreos, but other than that it is mostly "digestive biscuits." I hear that they taste ok, so Hob Nobs: The Digestive Biscuit might show up on my grocery list next time. Here are some other differences I encountered:
  • No canned soup. There actually are a few cans of soup, but nothing like the wall of Campbell's in America. I could not find a beef vegetable soup, and it is always soup weather in Ireland.
  • Frosted Flakes are called Frosties. Who knew? There are also not a lot of cereal brands that are popular in the US, but I got some Honey Loops which I enjoy.
  • Cheese and Onion flavoured potato chips (or crisps) are all the rage. Or at least I think they are because that is the prominent flavour I've seen.
  • Cheese comes in two colours: red and white. It is just white cheddar or yellow cheddar. I bought some white cheese for sandwiches and will let you know how that goes.
  • No grocery bags. This is not a bad thing; everyone is therefore forced to use reusable bags.
Here is the list of what I got because I'm sure my mother wants to know:
  • yogurt
  • milk
  • stuff to make ham sandwiches
  • frozen green beans
  • pasta
  • crackers (for peanut butter)
And Brittany and I got supplies to make tacos tonight. European Family Dinner!

1 comment:

  1. cheese... Cheese... CHEESE! It seems that I am not cut out to live in Ireland even though I'm 50% Irish.

    Looks like you'll have to find a substitute for dessert since you live in a cookieless-country. Perhaps fried snickers?

    I miss you daughter!

    ReplyDelete