Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Gaelic

Hello All!

Today has been a pretty basic day. I had two classes already and about to head over to my Irish history class. I did however stop by the study abroad office to see about taking an Irish language class. One of the guys we met when we first arrived to Dublin told us that the only ones who really know Gaelic are the people who grew up speaking it but when in Rome. Before I came to Dublin I had no idea how much I would see Gaelic around the country. It's on everything, from street signs to websites to maps. The buses even show their destination in English and Irish. Here are a few pictures I have taken of all the Gaelic because I think the language looks so beautiful and exotic and nothing more interesting happened during my day.


Post Office on O'Connell Street
The harp is the symbol of Ireland. Ireland is the only country to have a musical instrument as its national symbol




Entrance to UCD
The entire UCD website is also in both Gaelic and English



Signs on Campus


Directory in Library


Guinness Advertisement in Galway
Galway is one the regions of Ireland where Gaelic is still spoken

No comments:

Post a Comment