Saturday, January 16, 2010

Sightseeing

Today we went sightseeing up north near the River Liffey. We looked like complete tourists considering I was reading facts out loud from my guide book and Brittany was looking at a map. We also take pictures of everything; everything is so beautiful though and that's why I thought I would share some pictures with you. I believe you can click to make them larger.
The Post Office. This is the scene of the beginning of the Easter Uprising and an Irish "Alamo" because it was the scene of a boody five day seige.

Statue of Daniel O'Connell. For those of you who didn't know, I too am an O'Connell. My great-grandmother was Effie Viola O'Connell. Daniel O'Connell basically attempted to free Ireland from the English. As you can see from the size of the statue, he is kinda a big deal.

Looking over the Liffey from the O'Connell Bridge.

More Liffey
 
Christ Church Cathedal. More amazing in person.
How adorable is that? All the lamp posts look like this.
Dublin Castle
In my opinion, a very moving statue of justice on Dubin Castle. She is not wearing her blindfold and instead admiring her sword. According to Rick Steve, this shows the ugliness of the Irish-British situation.
Sorry but I was facing to sun so the picture is rather dark, but this is St. Patrick's Cathedral.
Laura, Brittany, me, Stacy

It was a great day of siteseeing! As they say in Ireland, it was good craic-craic, pronounced like crack, is gaelic for fun. Tonight we hit some pubs downtown. Actually, my friends are having "savage craic" right now at a nightclub with some guys we met, but I came back to campus around 1:30 with Stevie, another girl from U of I who just arrived today from Milan and was a little jet lagged. I'm still slightly uncomfortable at bars, so I'm not quite ready for Irish nightclubs with guys we just met. Baby steps.

3 comments:

  1. Baby steps for sure, but NEXT TIME I expect to hear about you dancing at a night club with Irish boys :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. CLAIRE! Ginger-Footballer-Irish twins are not found in your room... they are found at nightclubs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cant wait to do a photoshoot with you! It is so gorgeous!

    miss ya sis

    ReplyDelete