Thursday, January 21, 2010

Live Irish Music!


me, Stevie, Laura, Jen, Stacy, Brittany before going out

That's right. I finally got to hear some authentic Irish music in Dublin! How's that, you ask? Here's the story:

Wednesday night Stevie, Stacy, Brittany, and I all have "From Colony to Republic: The Making of Modern Ireland" from 6-8, which is just not an ideal time for a class. The class itself has some pretty interesting information, but right now the hardest part is keeping track of all the old Irish kings and pronouncing their names. Here are some examples:

• Diarmait Mac Murchada (Dermot MacMurrough) [pronounced MacMurra]
• Tigernán Ua Ruairc (Tiernan O’Rourke), King of Bréifne [pronounced Brefna]
• Derbforgaill (Dervla), wife of O’Rourke

Fun Fact: Although it is generally thought that names like Fitzgerald and Fitzgilbert are thought to be traditional Irish names, they are actually Anglo-Norman. Fitzpatrick is considered the only true Irish one.

We decided afterwards we would hang out at Laura and my apartment and then go to an international student party at a club called The Button Factory (Anyone remember that song from preschool? "My name is Joe and I work in a button factory..."). Now nightclubs aren't really my thing, but in an effort to meet new people and venture outside my comfort zone I decided to go. We had a lot of fun hanging out in Apartment 18 and then headed on the bus to the Temple Bar area. On our way to The Button Factory, we passed a bar with the sounds of traditional Irish tunes spilling out; it really made me feel like I was in Dublin.

We get to The Button Factory and there is no line outside and the place seems dead. I then suggest we go to have a drink at one of the pubs with the music we passed on the way there. We ended up at The Temple Bar, our new favorite hangout. Three men were playing live Irish music using a guitar, fiddle and accordian-like thing. It was amazing. Just so lively and beautiful and kinda made you want to dance a little jig. Now, of course, I don't have any pictures of it because I thought we were going to a nightclub that I wouldn't want pictures of. I do, however, promise that we had so much fun this won't be the last time we go listen to some Irish music, and I will get pictures and video then. Until then, I think I might just steal Brittany Metz's photos.

Everyone (Stevie, Brittany, Jen, Stacy, Laura, and I) had a great time. We met people (some French guys who were pretty wild, nice British guys, and some Irish people too), drank cider (I did not drink it, just tried some, and in my opinion it tastes like apple juice with yeast in it), laughed a lot, and listened to the traditional music that just put a smile on my face. The highlight for many of the girls was when they played "Galway Girl," which is apparently played in the film PS, I Love You. I need to see that movie now!

3 comments:

  1. YOU HAVEN"T SEEN PS I LOVE YOU?! i did a poor job preparing you for this trip. i love love love that movie. its adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stevie's blog said something about a naked Frenchman dancing on a table. Apparently they take off their clothes for 5 Euros - it's quite a deal, that is if you enjoy naked (French)men.

    So, anyway, my question is whether you were there with Stevie -- and, if not, why not. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. At the point of the stripping frenchman I was in another part of the bar and therefore it did not appear on my blog. The frenchmandid tell my Marjore was a sexy name though.

    ReplyDelete