Thursday, May 6, 2010

Florence- Day 3: The Light in the Piazza

"The god who created the hills around Florence was an artist. No! He was a jeweler, engraver, sculptor, bronze founder and painter: He was a Florentine."
-Anatole France

After exhausting myself seeing my fill of art, Brittany and I picked up the key to the hostel from Stacy and headed back to our beloved Ciao Hostel. We got there and what started out as a "rest my eyes" turned into a full-fledged nap for both of us. Eventually I woke and and woke Brittany up so that we could make it to the Piazzale Michelangiolo for sunset. After power-walking a little and climbing a lot of stairs we made it there and got some great pictures. And I know I've said this a billion times, but my camera just couldn't possibly Florence's beauty.




I had to be back at the hostel at 9:30 so I could claim my shifts for work for next semester so after the sunset Brittany and I headed back, stopping for pizza and a sandwich on the way. The front desk woman had waited for us so that we could use the computer at the front desk and once we got there she left, leaving us to turn it off. We were in the lobby alone when a drunk man from across the street apparently saw us there and wanted to come over and say hi. Luckily for us, the door was locked but that didn't stop Brittany from hiding behind the desk.

Once he had gone and I had my shifts claimed for ICS we decided to go to the train station to get tickets for our train to Venice tomorrow. We got there and found out that there were only three tickets left, which was a lot better than there only being two left. We snatched those up right away and headed back to the hostel to attempt to pack all the things we bought into our suitcases. Oh, the challenges of traveling in Europe.

No comments:

Post a Comment