Wednesday, July 7, 2010

London with Grace: Day 3 (23/5)

Grace and I had already been in London two days and not gone to Harrod's so I had to change that. After breakfast we too the Tube over to Harrod's. It was just opening as we arrived there and once we got inside the first thing we checked out were the food halls. The food halls are just so cool and have so many delicacies, including Krispy Kreme, which is a favorite of Grace's, so naturally we had to pick up a couple doughnuts. They did not disappoint and tasted just like Krispy Kreme does in the US.

After having some doughnuts we looked around the Toy Kingdom and the Pet Kingdom (apparently Harrod's likes monarchy's). I think Grace enjoyed seeing Harrod's and we each got a souvenir. I bought myself a bottle of Burberry London perfume for special occassions (I thought that it doesn't get more legitimate than buying Burberry London while at Harrod's in London) and Grace bought a Cuban cigar, something that she can't get in the US. My perfume was also somewhat special to me because it was a pre-flight ritual of mine to spray on Burberry London from the tester at a store in the airport (as I've mentioned, airports are like malls in Europe) before flying out of Dublin. And the men working the perfume section were so cute in a stereotypical British way.

After we had our stylish green bags from Harrod's we headed over to Hyde Park and Kensington Gardens. Once we got there Grace could not resist her Cuban any longer and had to light it up. Here is photo evidence:


A video recap of Grace's London experience:


I had to see the sights that my guidebook suggested (as always) so we headed over to the Princess Diana Memorial Fountain (not that great) and the Peter Pan statue. It was a cute statue and we got a cute sister picture in front of it.


Next stop: Baker Street. Yes, we did see 221b Baker Street from the outside but the reason that we traveled there was to go to a Beatles store. Grace got some socks for her friend Nancy that were purple with yellow submarines on them. We then got some coffee drinks and went back to the hostel to start re-packing for our trip to Paris. After getting back to the hostel we also called our mom to update her on our British adventures. Nothing too exciting.

Since it was so good the first time and we don't have a good Thai restaurant at home we couldn't resist going to the Thai restaurant we went to the first night before Les Miz. It was named Thai Square and it was just as good the second time as the first. Grace got a virgin pina colada and we also got a this great chicken dish that tastes just like Tommy's* Thai basil leaves. If you closed your eyes they tasted the same and Grace and I were just shocked. Too bad this place is all the way in London or we would go there all the time.

After dinner Grace and I walked over to Piccadilly Circus to look around and then headed back to the hostel to get ready for our 3:30 am bus to the airport. I had to finished packing and also arrange a taxi to pick us up to take us to the bus that would take us to the airport outside of London. I'm sure you won't be surprised by this, but I freaked out about getting to the airport on time to catch our flight and could barely sleep that night because I was so worried. I also had to call my mother and stress about it to her.

You'll have to tune in next time to see if the Fisher Sisters make it on the plane to Paris!

*Tommy was the owner of Bahn Thai, the Fisher's favorite Thai restaurant. He moved back to Thailand and is very greatly missed, especially his basil leaves and the pork dish #49.

No comments:

Post a Comment